Top 10 OSHA Safety Violations
Many injuries and illnesses that occur in the workplace are preventable. To assist employers in identifying and correcting hazards, OSHA publishes the list of the top 10 standards most frequently cited after an OSHA worksite inspection from the previous year.
The most recent list published is from Fiscal year 2015, which was October 1, 2014 through September 30, 2015. The following standards comprised the most violations found during inspections in that time frame. You should use this list in your next facility safety inspection to ensure you have a thorough safety plan and remove all potential hazards.
- Fall Protection (501)
- Hazard Communication (1910.1200)
- Scaffolding (1926.451)
- Respiratory Protection (134 – Respiratory Protection)
- Lockout/Tagout (147 – Lockout/Tagout)
- Powered Industrial Trucks (178 – Powered Industrial Trucks)
- Ladders (1053 – Ladders)
- Electrical, Wiring Methods (305 – Electrical, Wiring Methods)
- Machine Guarding (212 – Machine Guarding)
- Electrical, General Requirements (303 – Electrical, General Requirements)
Each standard covers a broad subject and must be reviewed thoroughly to ensure the hazards covered are not found at your facility or, if they are found, that they are addressed. This is also a good time to review your safety manual, as you find standards or hazards during your review, and make sure they are included in your customized safety manual.
Posted on: May 25, 2017